Getting started with sewing? Of course, you will need a sewing machine that will last you a lifetime. But that’s such a difficult question, you’ll get a million answers.
Before encouraging yourself to buy one, think about what you want to do with your sewing machine. Is it just for piecing, or piecing & quilting, or maybe do decorative stitches? Consider also that your sewing machine must be serviced every now and then since sadly they do break often. Find a brand that has free technical support and great customer service that will assist you when you want your machine serviced without driving halfway around the world. Then lastly, think about your budget.
Getting to know what features you want will help you decide on what sewing machine will be best for you before committing your hard-earned money.
There are many different types of models to choose from, take time to read this buyer’s guide before purchasing one. We based our selection on price, features, buyers’ reviews, and quality. Here are our recommendations for the best sewing machines for beginners. Let us start.
Best Sewing Machines for Beginners
1. Brother CS6000i Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
Brother CS6000i Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine is a great starter machine. Though this is a computerized sewing machine, the Brother CS6000i is user-friendly. With the use of the LCD screen, it is convenient to choose from the 60 built-in sewing stitches. It also has a wide detachable table that is perfect for large sewing or quilting projects. This machine has a lot to offer. What we love the most is it can be used with or without the foot pedal, which makes this the best entry-level sewing machine for us.
- 60 Sewing Stitches
- LCD Screen & Button Selection
- Auto Needle Threader
- Free Arm & Extension Table
- Includes hard protective case
- Can be used with or without the foot pedal
- 25 Years limited warranty
- Free customer phone and online technical support
The 60 included stitches includes:
- 20 decorative stitches
- 20 regular stitches
- 7 quilting stitches
- 6 heirloom stitches
- 7 auto-buttonhole styles
2. NEX Portable Sewing Machine
If you have just started sewing, then NEX Portable Sewing Machine is right for you. This machine has the capacity to sew bigger projects. With its 12 stitches patterns, we are pretty sure that this machine will give you the basics you’ll need for your projects. That is why NEX Portable Sewing Machine is the best basic sewing machine for beginners.
- Reverse Sewing Design
- Scissors and LED Illumination Design
- 12 built-in stitch patterns
- High & Low different speeds
- Tension Button of the Thread Control
- Free tech support
3. Janome 4120QDC Computerized Sewing Machine
The Janome 4120QDC Computerized Sewing Machine is a wonderful machine that will give you very professional-looking results. It is quite heavy (22.4 pounds) so it doesn't waddle on the table and is not easily tippable.
Janome 4120QDC is a high-performance machine with 120 Built-In sewing stitches with a Built-In Alphabet, you can play with decorative stitches and spell out phrases and words on your projects. You will surely thank this sewing machine as this has a Built-In Automatic Needle Threader where you can easily place your thread in the hook, no more eye strain. The best part is that it has a Bobbin System where you can quickly and easily change your bobbins because this machine will automatically bring up the bobbin thread and it is jam-proof. Janome 4120QDC Computerized Sewing Machine would be our best beginner sewing machine for quilting.
- 120 Built-In Sewing Stitches with a Built-In Alphabet
- Built-In Automatic Needle Threader
- Easy to Use LCD Control Panel
- Jam Proof Easy-Set Top-Loading Bobbin System
- Handy Function Buttons
- Hard Cover
- Extension Table
4. Singer Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine
Singer machines are known to be the best-selling sewing machine brands of all time. With its classic look, who would have thought that their sewing machines are so versatile, you can do everything you need on it.
As its name shows, the Singer Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine is durable, sturdier than expected for its price and weight. Its 32 built-in stitches can stitch all types of sewing from clothing, home decor, crafts, and much more. You can finish your projects quickly because it has a maximum sewing speed of 1,100 stitches per minute. It has a 50% stronger motor than other standard sewing machines which makes the Singer Heavy Duty 4452 able to sew heavyweight fabrics like denim and leather without difficulty, which makes this our top choice for the best heavy duty sewing machine for beginners.
The 32 included stitches, include:
- 6 basic
- 7 stretch
- 18 decorative stitches
- 1 fully automatic 1-step Buttonholes
- 32 built-in stitches
- 110 Stitch Applications for any fabric
- Automatic Needle Threader
- Drop Feed Expands Capabilities
- Clear Cover and Easy-to-Insert Drop-In Bobbin System
- High-speed maximum sewing speed of 1,100 stitches-per-minute
- 50% Stronger Motor than standard sewing machines
- SINGER Sewing Assistant App
5. Brother XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine
A lightweight sewing machine that is perfect for various day to day projects. The Brother XM2701 is a quiet, smooth and very durable sewing machine. It is super easy to thread thanks to the Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin that is jam-resistant. A very easy to use sewing machine that has 6 quick-change sewing feet and a versatile built-in free arm.
We must say that Brother XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine is a great recommendation for beginners and experienced seamstresses who want a really reliable machine without paying for an expensive one.
- 27 Unique built-in stitches
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin
- Built-in free arm
- 800 Stitches per Minute
- 6 Quick-change sewing feet: narrow hemmer, zigzag, zipper, blind stitch, buttonhole and button
- Built-in LED Light
- Auto-size buttonhole
- Instructional DVD included
- 25 years warranty
- Online free technical support
6. Janome 2212 Sewing Machine
The brand Janome is one of the top sewing machine makers in the world that upholds their products and they did not fail.
Janome 2212 Sewing Machine is a quality beginner-friendly model offered at a fantastic price. Even though this model has only 12 built-in stitches it still performs the basic functions of any standard sewing machine and it does them exceptionally well. The maximum speed of this machine is 860 stitches per minute which is fast for economy sewing machine models still the sews are phenomenal. When you want to do quilting or free motion sewing just drop the feed dogs.
- Easy turn dial pattern selection
- 12 built-in stitches including a four-step buttonhole
- Drop feed for free motion sewing and quilting
- Two Needle Positions
- Free phone support
- 25-year warranty
7. Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine
A great investment for entry-level sewers out there. Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine is very easy to use, lightweight and portable. It has 6 built-in stitches and functions that compared to other models is few enough to not overwhelm beginners with so many options.
The Singer model 1304 has a “Reverse sewing” option and an automatic bobbin winding feature.
We recommend this sewing machine to anyone looking for a smooth and very solid sewing mechanism. This might be a simple machine but it has the basics you need.
- Easy stitch selector
- Quick needle threading
- Automatic bobbin winding sewing machine
- Free arm
- Heavy duty metal frame
- 4 step button-holer
- Built-in reverse
- 25 years limited warranty
8. Janome New Home Sewing Machine
Who said that sewing machines are boring because of their classic colors? Janome heard you and offers three fun colors to choose from; Blue Couture, Arctic Crystal and Pink Sorbet.
The Janome New Home Sewing Machine is a nice, flexible machine that largely delivers on what is promised in the description. The flexibility and features are the biggest plus on this model. It has a removable arm that makes it easy to mend small items.The spool holders retract which is great for when you are storing the machine, helps prevent them being accidentally broken off. We can say that Janome New Home is a great basic machine to get you started,
- 15 Built-In Stitches
- 4-Step Buttonhole
- Front-Loading Bobbin System
- Heavy Duty Interior Metal Frame
- Adjustable Stitch Length & ZigZag Width
- Reverse Lever
- Darning Plate
- 3-Piece Feed Dog System
- Removable Free Arm
- Dual Retractable Spool Pins
9. Brother XR-3774 Quilting and Sewing Machine
If you are interested in quilting then the Brother XR3774 Quilting and Sewing Machine is for you. It is a full size machine that has an amazing array of features but it's not at all intimidating. It has an automatic needle threader that is perfect for those aging eyes. It also has a drop in bobbin with a clear case that makes it easy to judge when you need to replace it. The Brother XR-3774 has a work-light on the machine which is helpful if you want to sew in the middle of the night. The best part is it’s relatively quiet in comparison to other brand models and it wont shake your table once you are working on it.
- 37 built-in stitches
- 1-step buttonhole
- Automatic Needle Threader
- Jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Extended Table
- Versatile Free Arm
- Work light
- Free technical support via live chat or phone
10. Janome HD1000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
The Janome HD1000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine will meet all your needs and will exceed your expectations. It is very durable, nice smooth works and easy to set up and go. It can sew through many layers of fabric, thick leather and denims with ease. The free arm feature is great for sewing arm holes and cuffs. It also has a lesser level of noise while running.
Janome HD1000 is the best mechanical machine for home use. It's affordable, reliable, and has just enough features that make it the go-to machine for sewing heavy material.
- 14 Built-In Stitches including Stretch Stitches and Utility Stitches
- 4 Step Buttonhole
- Built-In Automatic Needle Threader
- Made of Cast Aluminum
- Free Arm For Sewing Pants, Collars and Cuffs
- Drop Feed for Darning, Stippling, Attaching Buttons
- Easy to access storage for tools and accessories
We hope that we were able to help you decide on which sewing machine for beginners to purchase. At the end of the day, no matter what machine you choose as long as you feel comfortable in using it, it will give a big impact to your sewing projects.