Starting a new hobby, especially quilting, can be overwhelming. There are a lot of things to learn, first of all is the quilting language.
You might run into different quilting terms and acronyms in your quilting lessons or conversations, knowing this terminology first hand is the introduction to your quilting journey:
- Quilting Gallery shares some basic quilting terms and photos for faster comprehension.
- Here is a complete list of Quilting Abbreviations by Yvonne Yoors
- For the in-depth quilting terminology and acronyms, you may want to check this AccuQuilt page.
The second step is familiarizing yourself with quilt blocks. Quilt patterns, either simple or complicated, are a combination of different quilt blocks. Having yourself familiarized with these blocks will help you know what tricks and tools to use to complete the quilt in no time.
Below are the pages where you can find variations of quilt blocks.
- Most Popular Quilt Block Patterns – I Love Quilting Forever
- Free Quilt Block Patterns Library – Generation Quilt Patterns by Julie Baird
- FREE Quilt Block Patterns – Quilting Daily
After learning the quilting definitions and quilt blocks, here are other different strategies to know how to read quilt patterns.
Laura Hopper from Suzy Quilts shares 7 Tips for Beginners and Pros on How to Read a Quilt Pattern .
You may also check these video tutorials for tips and tricks on how to read a quilt pattern.
- Fons & Porter’s Love of Quilting
- Quilt Addicts Anonymous
- Chatterbox Quilts
We hope that the links we provided will guide you to understand your patterns and read them correctly. This beginner’s guide will help you formulate new ideas and materialize your first quilting project.